Dromintee GAC – A brief Club history
Founded in 1887, Dromintee is recorded to be the first registered club in county Armagh. Details of the club activities are scant but there are reports of several matches played in those early days. In the ensuing years teams using several names are recorded as playing in the parish.
The club in its present form dates back to 1952, and there are minutes on record of various meetings which took place. Football for men was the only club activity and the team played in the lower leagues in Armagh and south Armagh competitions. In the early 60’s the team improved and there was a milestone in 1966 when Dromintee won the Junior Championship for the first time. The early 70’s were a lean time for success and indeed in 1977 the club temporarily ceased participating. However, this lull was short-lived and in 1979 the club again played in a county Junior final and a young Minor team was narrowly beaten in the final. This minor team was to form the basis of the Senior side which went on to win League and Championship in 1984. The team gained league promotion in the two consecutive seasons. In 1989, Dromintee won the County Intermediate Championship. During the following 20 years we again won the title in ’96, gained promotion to the League Topflight and contested the county final on a number of occasions only to be beaten narrowly by the great Crossmaglen team.
Over the years several attempts were made to promote camogie and several successful teams represented the club with many fine players. In the new century Ladies Football really took off in the club with our individual players and teams right up there with the best in the county.
In recent years the underage structure in the club has been revamped and the progress that has now been achieved has made Dromintee the envy of many clubs throughout Ireland. These structures truly bode well for the future.
Our present ground was purchased in the early 1980’s. Prior to that the teams played on rented pitches at various locations in the parish. Development in the club facilities has been extraordinary since the first land was acquired. With much fundraising and grant aid from various sources, we have moved forward stage by stage until we have attained the excellent facilities which players and spectators now enjoy.
While we can look forward with confidence to success, we must also remember the hard work and great dedication of the many people down the years which have led to the fine conditions we have for our young club members to avail of.